With no map, no guide, and no hope, where will you turn? Who will you trust? Don't worry, you can always say "Uncle"...
Tickets for Unhinged in The Haunted Basement are on sale now!
>> Soap Factory Insiders save up to $20 on tickets.
Follow us @TheSoapFactory on Instagram all this month for behind-the-scenes photos and enter to win free tickets to The Haunted Basement in our weekly photo derby contest!
Descend into the nightmarish depths of The Soap Factory’s Haunted Basement and explore the terrifying world of Unhinged. An annual tradition 8 years running, The Haunted Basement is bigger and better than ever with 2014’s Unhinged production. The creative team at The Soap Factory has outdone themselves, creating an all-new, terrifying experience for visitors.
Unhinged uses a brand new immersive structure leaving patrons no safety net. Don’t worry, there is still a safe-word, so practice saying “Uncle” now. Each patron wears a mask and assembles into a group before plunging into the nightmarish, subterranean world of Unhinged. Every patron forges their own path, sealing their fate at each twist and turn. All bets are off during Unhinged. Stand your ground? Stay with your friends? Venture on through the darkness? This terrifying journey promises to keep you on the edge of crying “Uncle” all night long.
The twisted geniuses behind Unhinged are led by Director Noah Bremer. A founder and current Artistic Director of the theater company Live Action Set, Bremer brings his experience of immersive, physical theater and the collaborative devising methods of Live Action Set to The Haunted Basement in a new way with Unhinged. Live Action Set have been creating theater that pushes boundaries in the Twin Cities for more than 10 years.
The Nasal Rangers from the St. Croix Sensory are back with an incredible olfactory landscape to enrich and horrify visitors. New to the Haunted Basement team is Sound Designer Michael Croswell, who builds tension and drives the action with his nightmarish Unhinged soundtrack. Also new in 2014 is Assistant Director Tyler Olsen and his team from Rawredmeat Productions. Olsen and Rawredmeat specialize in live blood effects, bringing the bloody carnage to life in Unhinged. Set Designer Erica Zaffarano and her team of multimedia artists transform The Soap Factory’s raw factory basement into a sprawling, surreal environment that envelops every visitor.
Did all that screaming make you parched? Nightly’s during Unhinged, visitors can grab a drink to steady their nerves in the Exile Lounge. With a haunted cocktail lineup from the Northstar Bartenders Guild, moody live music, and fun activities the Exile Lounge is the perfect way to start or wrap up your Unhinged evening.
Can’t muster the courage to descend into The Haunted Basement? Join us October 19th and 26th for ‘Fraidy Cat tours. These lights-on, no-scares tours of The Haunted Basement are part artist talk, part behind-the-scenes tour and an incredible opportunity to see all of the artistry behind 2014’s Unhinged. ‘Fraidy Cat tours on 10/19 and 10/26 from 11am - 1pm, tickets $10 at the door.
- Each patron must wear a light-weight plastic mask for the duration of their experience. We strongly suggest patrons wear contact lenses instead of glasses.
- Patrons are encouraged to arrive 20 minutes prior to their ticket time to check in, enjoy a drink in the Exile Lounge and steady their nerves.
- Download & sign the waiver before you come and save a little time!
Want to join our team? Volunteers help bring The Haunted Basement to life each year including help with ticketing, as actors, special effects makeup and blood effects, decorating sets and helping with props. Be a part of this incredible team! You'll never find a more welcoming, creative, weird and wonderful team. We're looking for volunteer actors to join our team right now!
- No admittance if you are under 18. IDs will be checked at the door.
- No admittance to intoxicated individuals, or individuals seemingly under the influence of illegal substances.
- Patrons may not cause damage or harm to any sets, props, costumes or performers. Aggressive or careless behavior will result in immediate ejection.
- For your own safety and comfort, you must have appropriate clothing to navigate through challenging and messy environments: no high heels or flip-flops. Inappropriate clothing may result in denial of entry.
- All bags, purses, coats, backpacks and loose items will be checked at the door.
- Patrons agree to the use of documentation including photography, audio and video recording and authorize the release of any documentation for publication. Purchase of this ticket includes the understanding and authorization that the patron may be included in any documentation that The Soap Factory has authorized for this project. This includes any photography, audio, or video recording for publication.
- No cell phones, cameras, flashlights or other illumination devices may be used during the performance. Any use of these devices during the performance will result in immediate ejection.
- Each patron must present a valid ticket at the door, valid only for the show time and date on their ticket. No late entry. No re-entry. No ticket rescheduling. No refunds.
- The Soap Factory determines patron compliance and reserves the right to refuse admission or eject any patron at our discretion as well as the right to insist a patron leave the premises.
I understand that there are risks and dangers in participating in The Soap Factory’s Unhinged in The Haunted Basement including, but not limited to: risk of personal injury and damage to clothing or possessions resulting from walking through a basement in darkness, uneven walking surfaces, strobe lights, strong smells, loud noises and PTSD triggers, concentrated fog/smoke, physical contact, projectile liquids, dust, dirt, allergens including peanut butter, latex, detergents, as well as disturbing and adult content.
Frequently Asked Questions
Parking: The Soap Factory has limited free parking. Additional free and metered street parking is available in the neighborhood. We suggest giving yourself a few minutes to find a spot.
Clothing: You’re going into an adventurous, bloody, immersive, haunted factory. Please dress smart. Wear comfortable clothing and tennis shoes. And don’t bring anything you wouldn’t mind getting a little messy…
Masks: Each patron must wear a light-weight plastic mask for the duration of their experience. Masks are provided. Take a look at the photo slideshow above to see the style of masks. We strongly suggest patrons wear contact lenses instead of glasses.
Say “Uncle”: Practice saying “Uncle” in case you get too scared and need to escape from The Haunted Basement. At any point during your experience, saying “Uncle” is your ticket back to the safety of the first floor lounge to grab a drink and wait for your brave friends.
Group Tickets: Each ticket is good for one person’s admission at their scheduled time. Large groups may attend The Haunted Basement if they have purchased tickets for the same the same date and time. However, we can’t guarantee you’ll stick together once you’ve descended into the depths...
Exile Lounge: Come early to enjoy a drink, live music and a haunting atmosphere before you enter Unhinged in The Haunted Basement. The Exile Lounge is open before and after all performances so you can steady your nerves or celebrate your bravery. The Exile Lounge’s refreshments include beer, wine, craft cocktails by the Northstar Bartenders Guild and more. Cash and credit cards accepted.
Don’t Have a Printer?: No problem! We have printed waivers on hand. And you can display your ticket on your smartphone or look up your ticket information via will call. Don’t forget your ID!
Photo ID?: A valid photo ID is required for everyone attending Unhinged in The Haunted Basement.
Your Unhinged Team:
Director, Noah Bremer; Assistant Director, Tyler Olsen; Effects by Rawredmeat Productions; Production Manager, Laura D. Thaisen; Technical Director, Søren Olsen; Set Designer, Erica Zaffarano; Sound Designer, Michael Croswell; Costume Designer, Mandi Johnson; Makeup Designer, Kristen Leigh; Assistant Set Designer, Donna Meyer; Stage Manager, William Harmon; Makeup Assistant, Craig Kossen; Set Decorator, Sarah Stone; Lighting Designer, Ian Knodel; Lighting Designer, Tony Biele; Blood Assistant, Theresa Purcell; House and Lounge Manager, Shelby Thomason; House and Lounge Manager, Amy Nelson; Properties Manager, Abbee Warmboe; Assistant Stage Manager, Anna Johnson; Creative Consultant, Joanna Harmon; Set Design Consultant, Jason Quick; Olfactory Design, Chuck and Mike McGinley and the Nasal Rangers at The St. Croix Sensory; 2014 Haunted Basement poster design by Erica Williams, Print design and branding by The MVA Studio
All photo, interview and media requests please contact Lillian Egner, Project Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org